Monday, May 21, 2007

Our next family trip

I am in a very precarious position. I have to choose between financial injustice and my family. I know, choose your family, right, but let me make it more complicated than it actually is. I love my family every single one, even though that love is often not reciprocated. Last year I spent little time with my family because I was on a cultural exchange. I had nervous anticipation for this years trip because they usually end up turning in cliques, formed between the two males and the six females(then the two old ladies talk relationships all, two just hang, and two have a secret society). Our last trip all together this changed because we brought alcohol and we all paid for ourselves. As our family matured into a family of young adults we started to take on a greater responsibility for our own financial resources. All six of the adult grandchildren have jobs and most of us pay for our own schooling (with some help from the government of course). The cost of our trip this year is over $1000 which is is not a lot if it is shared around by the people who can afford it. but no!!! We are two different families. In one family everyone who has a job will contribute equally and in another the mother will subsidise everyone in the family from her own income. This is where the injustice comes form (yeah, the injustice of a middle class white boy, "so tragic"). First ground for justification, that in the past my aunt's children lived in poverty and this intervention is away of correcting the crimes of the past. This argument is very disingenuous because the past year and a half that same aunt has been paying out of her pocket for her children and her to travel all around the world, spending thousands of dollars. This same family has a maid come every week to clean their house and each resident pays $100 less then my house in rent and get $200 more spent on them at x-mas. But who's counting (sounds like a capitalist)? These are my financial qualms, which are completely unjustified for a socialist. But am I offended on socialist grounds or are the capitalist? Everyone should be treated equally regardless of economic status, gender and family. This subsidy favours one family over another. This is coming at a time when my mother is on disability because of an serious illness and has no choice but to ask her children to pay she would love to pay for her children. If tables were reversed, where she could pay for her whole family and the other family could not, she would in a point of solidarity get her family to pay as individuals even though it was not financially necessary or convenient. Here are the my financial responsibilities: $3000 in debt, $5000 in tuition for next year, $1200 in rent, Car $250 per month, a new computer for school. I really can't afford to go on this trip but I am making this sacrifice because it is really important to me. I also feel personally wounded, not only am I giving my financial resource's but my time as well, I'll taking 3 days off work (and miss spending time with other people i love to spend time with besides my loving family). It is my cousins 18 birthday today and i made a scene; I got into a heated argument with my aunt who really means well. she is always wanting to make sure her children are fiscally taken care of. I'm surprisingly not so offended by her, but the birthday child. He is someone who is referred to as underemployed. And yet he has money to buy his turntables, smoke his pot, drink his beer, have a monthly gym pass and save money to move to Montreal but he can't afford the $75 for this three day family trip. He is at the stage in his life where he does not want to be apart of this family, because he is so important. I was there once, maybe even when I was his age. He has hurt me the most, if he really doesn't want to go, then don't go.

Peter

No comments: